- Location: Spain; 42.73°N, 0.42°W
- Operational Management: Pyrenean Institute of Ecology-CSIC
- Purpose/Scientific Focus: Snow hydrology, snow-ecology interactions, site for testing meteorological and snow measurement techniques and sensors.
- Location (Physiographic Region): Central Spanish Pyrenees, headwater of Gállego River, near the Spain–France border.
- Area: 0.33 km2
- Elevation: Min. 2,056 m to Max. 2,340 m
- Description (Physical–Ecological–Climatic Characteristics): Small subalpine catchment dominated by alpine meadows and small bare ground zones. Gentle slopes and lithology dominated by slates and sandstones with very reduced role of groundwater.
- Drainage/River System: Gállego River, which is one of the main tributaries of the Ebro River.
- Site History/Historical Context: It was created in 1986 with meteorological information of varying quality since 1996. Much better information after 2011 but reliable precipitation and runoff data is still an issue.
- Main Land Cover(s): Subalpine meadows.
- Lithology/Soils: Sandstones and slates.
- Mean Annual Temperature: 3°C
- Mean Total Annual Precipitation: 2000 mm
- Snow Characteristics: Deep snowpack mostly in isothermal conditions.
- Years of Data: 12 (the most reliable)
Stations & Observations
Observational Stations and Sites
|Meteorological||Izas||42.74268°N||0.41912°W||2113 m||Temperature, relative humidity, wind speed and direction, precipitation, broadband albedometer, ultrasonic snowdepth, ground heat flux, soil temperature|
|Hydrometric||Izas||°N||°W||2056 m||Water level, water temperature and electric conductivity|
Field Observation Campaigns and Other Measurements
|Measurement||Instrument Description||Spatial/Temporal Resolution and Coverage||Notes/Details|
|Terrestrial Laser Scanner||Riegl LPM 321||7 per snow season 2012-2018|
|UAV Sensors||Ebee, Inspire 300||7 per snow season 2019-2023|
|Time-lapse Photographs||Campbel 1mpx||3 daily, 2010-2023|
|Landcover and Soils||Soil and vegetation maps avaialble|
|Basin Delineation/Shapefile||Basin shapefile is available|
Observational Data Availability
- Revuelto, J., Azorin-Molina, C., Alonso-González, E., Sanmiguel-Vallelado, A., Navarro-Serrano, F., Rico, I., and López-Moreno, J. I.: Meteorological and snow distribution data in the Izas Experimental Catchment (Spanish Pyrenees) from 2011 to 2017, Earth Syst. Sci. Data, 9, 993–1005, https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-9-993-2017, 2017.
The CRHM model has been applied several times to investigate snow processes and their sensitivity to environmental change.
- López-Moreno, J.I., Pomeroy, J.W., Revuelto, J. and Vicente-Serrano, S.M. (2013), Response of snow processes to climate change: spatial variability in a small basin in the Spanish Pyrenees. Hydrol. Process., 27: 2637-2650. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.9408
Contact & Further Information
- Revuelto, J., López-Moreno, J. I., Azorin-Molina, C., and Vicente-Serrano, S. M.: Topographic control of snowpack distribution in a small catchment in the central Spanish Pyrenees: intra- and inter-annual persistence, The Cryosphere, 8, 1989–2006, https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-8-1989-2014, 2014.
- , , , , , , and (2015), Snowpack variability across various spatio-temporal resolutions, Hydrol. Process., 29, 1213–1224, https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.10245
- , , & (2021). Light and shadow in mapping alpine snowpack with unmanned aerial vehicles in the absence of ground control points. Water Resources Research, 57, e2020WR028980. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020WR028980
- Revuelto, J., Gómez, D., Alonso-González, E. et al. Intermediate snowpack melt-out dates guarantee the highest seasonal grasslands greening in the Pyrenees. Sci Rep 12, 18328 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-22391-x